Youth Leadership Program
Youth Leadership Program
The Cobb EMC Youth Leadership Program gives current high school juniors the opportunity to develop leadership and networking skills, learn about their electric cooperative and earn scholarships. While learning about the co-op and making connections with other students, participants are also working to earn a spot on the Georgia Youth Tour. The Youth Leadership Program offers students the opportunity to earn a $1,500, $1,000 or $500 scholarship, along with an all-expenses-paid Georgia Youth Tour experience and a paid student summer internship.
- Be a high school junior (including home-schooled students)
- Live in a primary residence served by Cobb EMC
- Complete the application and submit an essay (see How to Apply section below for details)
- Cobb EMC employees and their children are not eligible for this program and scholarship
- Cobb EMC Directors and their children are not eligible for this program and scholarship
How to Apply
- Include the following items with your application:
- Completed 2022 Cobb EMC Youth Leadership Program Application
- Original essay on the following topic: Briefly discuss the seven cooperative principles. Which do you think is the most important and why? Essay requirements:
- Legibly written in ink on 8.5x11" paper, or
- Typed double-spaced
- Word document or PDF sized to 8.5x11"
- Times New Roman in font sized 12 pt
- 500 word minimum (should not exceed 700 words)
- See judging rubric
- Essay must be accompanied by a cover letter including: student’s name, address, phone number, name of school, date
- The Youth Leadership Application and Essay must be submitted in one of three ways:
Attn: Mark Justice
1000 EMC Parkway
Marietta, GA 30061
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 678-355-3124
Important Dates to Remember
- Thursday, Sept. 9, 2021 at 5:30 p.m.: Virtual Information Session – email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for the information session. The Virtual Information Session is not mandatory for students that want to enter the Cobb EMC Youth Leadership Program.
- Thursday, Oct. 7, 2021 at 5:30 p.m.: Virtual Information Session – email email@example.com to register for the information session. The Virtual Information Session is not mandatory for students that want to enter the Cobb EMC Youth Leadership Program.
- Monday, Nov. 8, 2021: Entry deadline
- Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2021 at 5:30 p.m.: Virtual Orientation Night
- Thursday, Nov. 18, 2021 at 5:30 p.m.: Facility Night
- Thursday, Dec. 9, 2021 at 5:30 p.m.: Community Night
- Thursday, Jan. 20, 2022 at 5:30 p.m.: Membership and Safety Night
- Thursday, Feb. 17, 2022 at 5:30 p.m.: Politics Night
- Thursday, Mar. 10, 2022 at 5:30 p.m.: Leadership and Workplace Success Night
- Tuesday, Mar. 29, 2022 at 5:30 p.m.: Interview Night
- Georgia Youth Tour: Dates TBD
All participants will receive a detailed schedule.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I am the only student representing my school?
Congratulations! You will be your school's representative if you score at minimum a 15 on the essay.
What happens on interview night?
Participants of the Cobb EMC Youth Leadership Program will interview to win scholarship money and one of four spots on the Georgia Youth Tour. The Cobb EMC Women’s Task Force asks each finalist questions during a panel-style interview. Interview Night is mandatory. Finalists will be disqualified if they do not attend.
How good are my chances of winning?
The first level, entry and essay submission (October 21), is between you and other students in your school. The highest scoring essay from each school (score at minimum a 15 on the essay) will be invited to participate in approximately five Cobb EMC Youth Leadership Program evening programs.
What if I am unable to attend the Georgia Youth Tour?
You may forfeit your Georgia Youth Tour spot to the next student in line. You will still receive your scholarship money. First place receives a $1,500 scholarship. Second place receives a $1,000 scholarship. Third and fourth place students receive a $500 scholarship.
What is the intern selection process?
The top students will fill out an application and complete interviews. Mark Justice, director of education and community relations, will interview candidates. A physical and drug screen is required of the applicant who is selected and accepts the offer.
What does the internship consist of?
The paid summer intern will work in Cobb EMC's community relations department.
What is the Cobb EMC Women’s Task Force?
The Cobb EMC Women’s Task Force is a voluntary group of 50-60 women members of Cobb EMC.
For more information
Have a question or just want to chat with a Cobb EMC member care representative?