Report A Scam
Report A Scam
Scammers are increasingly targeting our members by phone, email or in person pretending to be Cobb EMC employees and demanding immediate payment or personal information. While these techniques might seem official, we urge you to protect yourself by following these guidelines:
How Cobb EMC collects payment
- Members will receive a disconnect letter and alert online via our online account management system and app, prior to service disconnection.
- We use an automated system to allow members to make payments to their accounts.
- We submit aged delinquent balances on closed accounts to a collection agency, which contacts our members by letter and phone to collect payment on our behalf. Collection agency calls will come from TransWorld Inc. or TSI, Inc.
- All Cobb EMC employees and contractors carry photo identification badges, travel in company vehicles, and wear uniform shirts.
What you can expect from Cobb EMC
- Collect money in the field. Cobb EMC employees will never ask members to pay their bills anywhere other than at our office or through one of our payment options.
- Instruct you to call a phone number that is not ours, 770-429-2100, or our automated phone system, 1-855-730-8714. You can always find our phone number on our website or on your Cobb EMC bill.
- Ask you to pay with a prepaid card or cash anywhere other than at our office.
- Make automated calls for payments.
What you can do
If you believe that you have been contacted by a criminal impersonating a Cobb EMC representative and threatening to disconnect your power, follow the tips below.
- Verify the person’s identity. Cobb EMC employees will have billing history information such as the amount of your last payment. If they don’t have that information, do not make payments or give out any personal information.
- Protect your personal information. Hang up the phone, close the door and carefully check emails before clicking on any links that may be bogus. Do not share any financial or personal information such as bank, credit card, social security, address or date of birth. Delete all suspicious emails that require immediate action to verify or demand personal information.
- Pay Cobb EMC directly. We will gladly accept payment from any member at any time, but we advise that you initiate the payment method. Valid payments may be made via mail, at our office during business hours, anytime using our app, website or through our automated system by calling 770-429-2100.
- Protect your financial information. Do not give the caller or visitor a prepaid card, such as a Green Dot card, a wire transfer, or any other form of payment that may be difficult for law enforcement officials to trace.
- Keep us informed. Ask for the person’s name and as much additional information as possible, note their phone number from caller ID, and simply call our office at 770-429-2100 to report scammers to Cobb EMC.
- Report fraud. Contact your local police through the non-emergency telephone number, your state attorney general’s office through its toll-free number, and/or contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) or 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357).
Have a question or just want to chat with a Cobb EMC member care representative?